Wednesday, December 9, 2009

A Farewell for Lawrence and Sharafat











My friends Alfred, John, and I decided to do a ritual of burning messages to send to the spirits of our friends Lawrence Salazar and Sharafat Ali Khan, who both just died within the past week. As the sun set and the temperature dropped, we went to Garfield Park in San Francisco's Mission district. In 2008 Lawrence, his wife Phyllis (my sister), some friends, and I had gone there to make an altar for my sister Yo on Day of the Dead. Under a great group of birds congregating to sing their dusk signals on the wires, we found a good little natural shelf in a majestic tree where the roots meet the trunk. We placed our messages there and burned them so they could travel into the earth and to the sky in a brief but grounding moment of focus.





No comments: